Monday, June 14, 2010

Jekyll Island Anniversary


So, a few weeks ago my wonderful husband and I spent the weekend in Jekyll Island, GA for our anniversary. I am a Georgia girl, but had never, in my memory, been to Jekyll Island. It was so lovely. I loved the foliage, the greenery, the water.

On the island is a Sea Turtle Rescue Shelter and Animal Hospital. This gigantic fossil was hanging in the lobby. I would have hated to come across a turtle that big!
This is an old fort. When I say old, I mean OLD. It was built in 1734 by a group of settlers led by James Oglethorpe. the name of this lovely National Historic Site is Fort Frederica. This was the site of The Battle of Bloody Marsh which the English fought against the Spanish for control of this part of Georgia. The Spanish were governing in Florida at the time and marched about 200 of their army up to St. Simons Island for an attack. Oglethorpe sent several hundred men to cover this advancement and it was said the marshes ran red with blood. The British routed the forces with their musket fire. Within a week Montaino's army evacuated St. Simons and returned to Florida, thereby ending the last Spanish threat to Georgia.

Isn't it just lovely. I would say it was well worth fighting for.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Ann, that looks like a wonderful place to vacay and relax!

    Wanted to let you know I received your swap items and to thank you so much..will have a lot of fun with the game, and living in the desert, the luau theme is so appreciated...thank you again!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great trip! We'll be there next month. :)

    ReplyDelete