Friday, June 13, 2014

52 Week Crochet Challenge - Week 14 - Crochet in public sometime this week and tell us about your experience.

Crochet in public.  Well this is not really something new.  I crochet everyday and all the time in public.  Recently we took a two hour motorcycle trip.  I ride on the back and my husband does the real work.  As we rode I crocheted on the back and finished up the backpack that I blogged about a few weeks ago.That was a new experience.  He laughed and said I would probably end up on you tube from some motorist who saw me.


At work my co-workers are all polite and ask what I am working on.  Even when I show photos or explain they usually just say 'oh that's nice' or make some comment  about how they could never do that or don't have the patience for stuff like that.

They do have a fascination with muscle memory when I sit and crochet without looking at a pattern or really even watching what I am doing. Last week we had a whole conversation about muscle memory. I have also made and given them a few small projects.


Whenever we go out in the car I take the current project, I have sat at the table while waiting for the waitress crocheting and knitting, in the drive-trough at the bank or pharmacy, in a play or band program for the kids, while visiting my family and just about anywhere.

I also have a fascination with the appearance of needlework on tv and film.  I make my husband pause what we are watching so I can study the frame to determine whether the actor is actually working the project or simply holding someone's needles or hooks.
Shirley Temple

Doris Day

Katharine Hepburn

Olivia de Havilland as Melanie Wilkes in Gone With the Wind

Katharine knitting on a plane. In public!!

child from 1951
I showed this post to my husband yesterday and he suggested I find some famous men who knit also:
David Arquette.  Even knitted and appeared in a book about scarves.

Ryan Gosling who learned to knit on the set of a movie Lars and the Real Girl.
Misha Collins is a prolific knitter.  He is on the television show Supernatural.

1 comment:

  1. what a great post! i love all the images of famous needle-workers! i do the same thing whenever i catch a glimpse of one on a movie or tv... my daughter and I will say, "she's faking it!" or "she's really knitting!" :)

    ReplyDelete